Psychological manipulation in relationships is a way to show power and control over another person. You can learn, prevent, and stop it if you don’t want to be a victim. However, it’s important to know that we need to be careful and polite because there’s no goal to make the situation worse and ruin your relationship.
We are all for healthy and balanced communication. In this article, you can find 8 hidden forms of manipulation and ways to avoid it.
1. They overwhelm you with facts and their personal statistics.
It’s called “intellectual bullying”. In simple words, your partner can shower you every day with plenty of interesting information and show off their knowledge and skills. In this situation, you can feel stupid if you don’t know how to protect yourself.
How to avoid it:
- First of all, you should understand that maybe your partner is good in some areas, but you can be awesome in others.
- Suggest talking about something you have in common.
- Don’t let anyone say that you’re stupid. Ask for respect, but do it in a calm and polite way.
2. They let you know that they’re happy with you, however, it means setting aside what they really want.
“Yes, I am happy for you that we met with your friends, but I was a bit bored.” This kind of phrase is a way to make you feel guilty.
Manipulators always try to show that they’re doing the best job and you just don’t see it or appreciate it.
How to avoid it:
- Focus on the manipulator, not on your guilt. You can ask a question like, “Are you really expecting me to…?” or “Are you asking me or telling me?”
- Remember that you have a right to be happy.